Friday, April 25, 2014

Baseball Player Commission

I was recently commissioned to paint this unnamed baseball player. I was given two pieces of reference, an old sepia photo...     and a pair of his pants.

The photo in question, nice pose but kinda blurry and little to go on as far as rendering it in color.

Luckily with the pants I was able to extrapolate the color information on the rest of his uniform.

That being said I did decide to change up the angle and pose a bit to give him a bit more dynamism. His leg hanging out in front was just a bit too 'normal' so i gave all his limbs a tweaking bringing the leg up a bit the foot out forward a tad. 
I didn't do anything that would violate the laws of physics or make him look superhuman, just giving the image a little energy. Also making it look a little different from the photo makes me happy, I hate just plain replicating it for the sake of replicating it.


Finished Product rendered in watercolors and airbrushed inks on illustration board:
I think the final image speaks for itself. I enjoyed working on this more than I thought I would, never having illustrated a sports player. 

No comments: